- This event has passed.
Cloudy Nights Workshop – Brown Dwarfs
April 5 @ 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
A continuation of our Cloudy Nights Workshop series, this event is hosted by Jim and Moriah Goodall, in their 2000 square-foot pole barn, where there is lots of space for projects, plenty of tools, and a play area for the younger kids. This time of year, we don’t expect great weather, but if it happens to be clear, you can bet we’ll have the scopes set up! Scheduled activities for this event include:
6:00 PM Pizza and Snacks
Pizza, soft drinks, snacks, and socializing before the presentation begins at 7 pm sharp. The kids will enjoy slot car racing on our track in the shop, and they are welcome to get started on a project before the presentation starts.
7:00 PM – SPECIAL PRESENTATION: Brown Dwarfs: Bridging the Gap Between Stars and Planets
A fascinating presentation on brown dwarf stars, by Jennifer Greco, PhD. Candidate from the University of Toledo Department of Physics and Astronomy. Jennifer will take us on a tour of her research and interesting fun facts about low mass stars throughout our galaxy.
8 – 10 PM, Hands-On Activities / Open Observing
– After the presentation, kids of all ages will be invited to join in fun hands-on activities
– Work on science projects, build stuff
– Learn to use tools and lab equipment (hammers, ratchets, impact wrench, multimeters, graduated cylinders, mass balances, and much more…)
– If it is clear, we’ll set up the telescopes!
What to Bring (optional):
– Your telescope! If it is clear, we can set it up outside, but if it’s cloudy, we can set it up inside and teach you how to clean and collimate it
– Anything broken (appliances, toys, computers) and we’ll fix it together… or we’ll at least find out how it works 😊
Join us 6PM to 10PM at:
13665 Hibner Rd
Hartland, MI 48353
+1 540 718 3278
If you have any ideas for projects, bring them along. Our team of engineers and designers love to work on projects with the kids. We hope to see you there! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call me (Jim Goodall, 586-709-5888).